Relocating with a Realtor
How it works
Contacting a relocation specialist at the beginning of any moving process is key. The longer you have to plan, the less stressful it’s going to be.
Throughout the whole process, a relocation specialist acts as a sounding board for the mover. After an initial on-boarding call, the specialist will determine what professionals are needed to make the relocation painless and problem-free.
Services provided by relocation specialists
Everyone who goes through relocation will have different needs depending on their family size, where they’re moving, how much stuff they have, and what their budget is. However, most specialists can help you with the following services:
- Selling your current home: A relocation specialist will have a referral for a real estate agent to sell your home, even if you’ve already left the area.
- Finding a moving company: Relocation companies refer a lot of clients to movers, so they can often get you a better deal than you’d find on your own.
- Packing your things: Have any items that require special care in moving? Need someone to pack and ship your things to you? Relocation specialists can find you the right help.
- Visas and immigration compliance: If your move is international, a relocation specialist can help you make sure you’re legal for entry and to work in your new home country.
- Finding a new home: Whether you’re buying or renting, a specialist will put you in contact with a vetted real estate agent who is an expert in your area. To get our referrals, agents need to be licensed for at least five years and have done relocation training and certification.
- Navigating closing on a house: Even if you’ve bought a home before, the closing process can be radically different in different parts of the country. Some states use a lawyer to close while others don’t. Earnest money amounts can vary from a few hundred dollars to 10% of the purchase price. Your relocation specialist is there to field questions about the process.
- Finding the right school or child care provider: Generally, finding the right school district goes hand-in-hand with finding you a new home, but if you have a child with specific or special needs, we’ll find a local partner that can help place children in schools.
- Shipping pets, especially internationally: Getting pets across borders can be complicated. Your specialist can find someone who will make sure Fido and Grumpy are well taken care of on their journey.
- Shipping automobiles: They can help coordinate the process whether it’s cross-country or across the world
- Tours and orientation: Along with your real estate agent, a relocation specialist can arrange for you to take a tour of your new home or give you the lowdown on all the fun stuff to do in the area.
- Finding local service providers: Whenever you move, you have to find new doctors, dentists, tax professionals, legal professionals, babysitters, and just about everything else. A relocation specialist will have vetted referrals for all these people and be able to connect you.
How much does a relocation specialist cost?
Most of the services relocation specialists provide don’t cost you a thing. Because they get referral fees from the vendors they work with, clients are able to use a relocation specialist’s services for free.
We only charge clients only if they are asking for something they have to do in-house, like help to prepare taxes or payroll. Ninety-nine percent of individuals that come to us don’t pay any fee.
As with any person you hire, you’ll want to do research to determine which relocation specialist is best for you.
Take into consideration the years of service, experience, and [their] ability to manage your personal and potentially unique needs. Relocating can be a complicated process, and you want to find a partner who will simplify it for you by making sure your needs are met.